Useful Information for International Students


Websites and information that may be useful to help you or your parents if you are coming to study at Glendowie College.



General Information

  • Bus services for students to and from Glendowie College: then go to School/Information/Bus Information
  • To learn about the Curriculum Subjects taught at Glendowie College: then go to Academic/Plan your learning/Subject Information
  • For information on the National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA), the New Zealand exam system, here is a guide to Understanding NCEA
  • Online Link to the school’s Refund Policy: then go to International /How to Apply/Tuition Agreement & Contract/ Page 4


General Information about the Glendowie/St Heliers area


Shopping Centres in the Glendowie/St Heliers Area 

St Heliers is a local shopping area with many boutique shops, restaurants, cafes and banks, and a small supermarket.

At Mission Bay, which is close to Glendowie, there is larger shopping centre called Eastridge Shopping Centre:


Other Shopping Centres which are further away from Glendowie

Sylvia Park, which has many local and international chain stores, a movie theatre complex, restaurants, cafes and supermarkets:

Botany Town Centre, which has 200 shops, a cinema complex, banks, restaurants and cafes.  For further information:   


About Auckland

Auckland is the largest city in New Zealand with a population of 1.57 million people.  It is located at the top of the North Island of New Zealand between two harbours, the Waitemata and the Manukau harbours for further information:

The Auckland Central Business area is 20 minutes by bus from the Glendowie area, for further information: or


Auckland Public Transport

Auckland Public Transport Service or


Auckland Library Service (Government funded)

There are many libraries in Auckland, including St Heliers, Pakuranga, Botany Town Centre, Remuera and Central Auckland, for further information on how to join:


Ethnic Communities and Finding an Interpretor e.g. Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Korean, etc.


About New Zealand

New Zealand Now: or

The weather in New Zealand:


Health and Insurance

  • All International Students are required to have full insurance cover.  Information on appropriate policies can be found at or
  • Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health at
  • To find a GP (doctor) or other health practitioners close to where you live, and who also speak your first language:
  • Sun Safety. In New Zealand there is a high level of ultraviolet radiation from the sun and it is easy to get sunburnt for further information on how to protect yourself:
  • If a student is unsure about their health or their family’s health or where to go, they can call the Healthline number: 0800 611 116
  • The school nurse will also help with any queries, her medical room is located in the Adams Building next to Room 9 (the hospitality classroom).
  • Students have the right to be treated with respect by Health providers.  If you have any concerns or wish to complain you should contact the organisation who provided your care or the Health and Disability Commission:  or phone 0800 112233.
  • Sexuality education, health promotion, and sexual and reproduction health services:  then go to our-work/preventative-health-wellness/sexual and reproductive health.
  • ACC (Accident Compensation Corporation) in New Zealand runs a ‘no faults’ insurance type scheme known as ACC to cover the costs of any accident the international student might have while in New Zealand.  This scheme applies equally to New Zealanders and foreign visitors, such as international students and their parents/guardians.  If a students has to see a doctor with an accident-related matter, it is important to let the receptionist and doctor know that the injury/concern is accident related.  Students can pay less for accident related visits to a doctor.  For further information you can contact ACC who will provide an interpreter.  Further information is also available on









Keeping Safe

Keeping safe information, earthquakes and other natural disasters:

Water Safety New Zealand: 

Relevant New Zealand laws, including laws on the sale of alcohol and tobacco products, alcohol laws and penalties:

Addressing issues of harassment and discrimination, you can make a complaint in many different languages, please see the website for further information:

Road traffic safety, including pedestrian and cycling safety.  Students are not allowed to drive. NZTA information for visiting drivers:




Checking the student’s entitlement to study in New Zealand to ensure that students have the valid and appropriate visa, can be done in a number of ways, including using Immigration New Zealand’s VisaView service which can be accessed through:

Year 12 and 13 students can apply for a variation to their student visa to allow them to work up to 20 hours a week during holiday periods with written permission from the school and their parents or legal guardian.  Glendowie College recommends that students who are doing well in their studies work no more than 12 hours a week during the school terms.  Students who need to catch up with their year level should not work.  Please refer to Immigration New Zealand for more information:

Renewal of student visas can be done by Glendowie College provided that the student has an excellent attendance record and provides the correct documentation required by Immigration New Zealand to the school.  There is a charge for this service.  Please see the International Students Administrator in the Glendowie College Administration area for further information.

For information on New Zealand's laws on working condtions eg. the minimum wage you can be paid and the number of hours you can legally work please call the Labour Inspectorate 0800 20 90 20.


Information for Parents

What you need to know before you rent a flat, apartment or house:

If you need to rent a flat, apartment or house:

If you need to buy furniture or home goods second hand:

If you have rental problems contact the Disputes Tribunal:

The cost of living in New Zealand: 

Complaints to NZQA and the Dispute Resolution Scheme (DRS)

If a student’s complaint is not resolved in the school, they can contact the New Zealand Qualification Authority (NZQA), who will process their complaint.  NZQA will be the first point of contact for all complaints about the Code and they will investigate the complaint.  Completed complaint forms, along with supporting evidence, can be sent to: The Complaints Officer New Zealand Qualifications Authority, P.O. Box 160 Wellington, 6140 or email and scan the completed form along with scans of any supporting evidence to schoolcode, 

To download a formal complaints form:

For more information on the complaint process, students can contact NZQA on 0800 697 296.

Back to top